I decided to find out some info on dice snakes because we saw one last week on our trip to the cave click here to read the full story.
- The female Dice snake (Natrix tessellata) is bigger than the male they can get up to 130 cm long!
- The under belly of this snake is orange or sometimes yellow, top of the snake olive brown with black spots similar to a dice :)
- Normally will live near rivers,ponds and lakes its main diet is fish but will also feed on frogs, toads and tadpoles.
- This snake is not venomous!! For it's defence it will let out a very horrible smell just like a Grass snake ( Natrix natrix) and it will also fake dead.
- This snake lays 10 to 35 eggs!!!!!
- Some times the dice snake will lay its eggs next to the grass snake eggs
- I have only seen two dice snakes!
|Dice snake swimming|
|Dice snake eating a fish|